A few of us split a pig, and Rachel was super awesome and made a delicious ham stock. Nestled away in my fridge, I decided it was the perfect base to a comfort food soup for Sunday night. So, I set out to make something new and delicious, and made a Ham, Cheddar and Potato Soup!
20 oz ham/chicken/vegetable stock
1 small onion
2 medium carrots
2 stalks celery
1 1/2 lbs potatoes
1 1/2 lbs ham
2 cups cheddar
2 cups milk
5 tbsp flour
5 tbsp butter
- Pour stock in a large dutch oven or soup pot
- Chop celery, carrots, onion, potato, and ham and toss in a pot.
3. Bring pot to boil and let boil until potatoes are soft (about 15 mins or so)
4. Meanwhile in a medium-sized sauce pan, melt 5 tbsp of butter
5. Gradually add 5 tbsp of flour and whisk for a few minutes until you have a thick, pasty roux
6. Add 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of cheddar and whisk for 5 minutes, or until you have a nice thick sauce
7. Pour milk mixture into big pot with veggies and ham and stir
8. Serve with chopped green onions on top
You can easily make this a vegetarian soup by replacing the ham with beans and using vegetable stock.