Thanksgiving is coming! All of us know that when we are preparing to make a side, we think…..hmmm….How can I make this taste amazing? Often times, it involves adding cream, cheese, or bread, and a lot of times you’re adding those things to a starch! I find myself really bloated, stopped up, and uncomfortable after dinner, so this year I am trying to ease up on the carbs, but not the flava!
Eat your green beans! I found this amazing Emeril recipe and made it 3 years ago. Every year, my husband demands it for Thanksgiving. The most delicious way to eat green beans is with BACON! The best part about it is, it only takes about 30 minutes on the stove right before the meal. No oven! Here’s the recipe!
Yuck! Brussel Sprouts! Don’t be quick to deny brussel sprouts. They lose their bitterness if you cook them right. S&D Café makes an amazing Brussel Sprout Salad that my husband gets on a weekly basis. I used to have their recipe, but lost it after a little while. I guess this is my version of their already amazing recipe.
1 1/2 lbs of brussel sprouts
1. Core your brussel sprouts. I take a paring knife and dig out the center. Then I pull the leaves apart discarding of the outer most leaves and what’s left of the core – that little ball. Then, rinse the leaves you’re using.
2. Put your leaves in a pan with some olive oil (just enough to coat them) and sauté for a 2 minutes.
3. Add some pressed garlic and let it simmer for another minute or so. I usually use 2 cloves.
PSST! Make sure your leaves just get tender, but don’t wilt.
4. Take the leaves off the stove and put in a bowl. While you’re doing that, put a handful of pine nuts in the pan and sauté them for a minute or 2 on medium heat until they start to toast a little bit.
5. Add a tsp of sesame oil, some salt, pepper, toasted pine nuts and drizzled honey onto the sprouts in the bowl and mix around. I usually drizzle about 2 tbsp. and mix it for a little while. Sometimes I add more of everything depending on the flavor.
You can serve this recipe hot or cold. I love it after it’s been in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.